New York Union Semester is an innovative semester-away program, for national and international students. We welcome undergraduates, recent grads and graduate students. Students learn about organized labor in a challenging environment. As interns at labor unions and affiliated organizations in New York City, students gain an understanding of the inner workings of organized labor while they make a contribution to the work of the movement. In the classroom, students analyze their experiences in the field, by studying the labor movement, both past and present. The program is intensive,rigorous and very rewarding for program participants!
Union Semester is a full-time intensive academic and internship program. Internships are 32-hours a week and students attend four classes each week.
Students who successfully complete their internship and Union Semester course load are awarded a Certificate in Labor Studies by the School of Professional Studies (SPS), CUNY.
Why participate in Union Semester?
- Develop a deeper understanding of the labor movement
- Sharpen your analytic skills and knowledge to be more effective in school or on the job
- Obtain professional experience to build your path to a career in labor and social justice
- Earn transferable college credits
- Combine an academic background in labor studies with exposure to related fields including law, economics, history or political science
- Receive a partial tuition scholarship and a weekly stipend to help cover program costs and living expenses